Berklix - Server Names, Services
& User Info
Various entities share domains on the various servers, so
sometimes multiple variant URLs can take you to the same
Host naming is subject to change; a snapshot is below. For
current information, consult the name servers, available via
normal BSD Unix
command or /usr/local/bin/dig from
etc. Localy on berklix
servers, See Also /site/domain/berklix/etc/motd
Avoid using physical host names (DNS A records). Use
virtual functional aliases (DNS CNAME records) listed below.
This minimises user inconvenience, & allows us maximal
flexibility to invisibly dynamicly re-allocate resources
during upgrades, reconfigurations etc.
Note EG www2 may or not be same as mx2 etc, Or Not. ie
same number does not indicate same physical host.
- Mirroring from these hosts is either not available, or
discouraged. If you mirror please try to do it weekends/
evenings, to avoid creating heavy traffic or dial-in access
load during business hours. There are better faster mirrors
& in Munich (ask at the BIM Stammtisch,
or consult official BSD sites: www.FreeBSD.org
- Use SSH only (to avoid password capture by intermediate
systems). Rlogin & Telnet are forbidden. They are
only for use of administrator, to rescue machines, if for
some reason sshd might fail. (After which use am immediate
change of password would occur).
- Use sftp rather than ftp if loging in with your
- Mail should not be sent to login_name @ berklix
.org, but to login_name @ user.berklix
- Logins are just on one host "user.berklix.org": Central
multi host passwording is not done.
- The ftp servers run read only to avoid Warez dumpers.
Please don't create so much traffic it might annoy our sites
- Some of packages are installed to maintain BIM leaflets etc,
however, this is not a place for arbitrary packages better
installed on your own computer.